Sunday, November 14, 2010

Three Firsts

Really?  Soufflé?  I suppose I signed up for the Daring Cooks so I could be challenged in the kitchen.  But a soufflé for my first challenge seems a little ambitious.  In any case, I’d like to start out my new venture with enthusiasm.  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!  

For my first soufflé, I chose to make a Sweet Potato and Gruyere variety, which was actually quite simple to put together.  Because I am also a Daring Baker, I opted for a savory soufflé, and I felt like sweet potatoes were appropriate for the season.  The recipe was suspiciously simple, and probably didn’t include enough directions regarding soufflé preparations in general (e.g., make sure your bowls are spotless, be careful not to let any fat in your egg whites, etc.)  Regardless, I followed the instructions as they were given and didn’t encounter any difficulties.

The final product seemed successful enough.  There was a definite rise and fall, although the rise wasn’t as spectacular as I had hoped.  The consistency was light yet still substantial.   Everything appeared to work out as the recipe suggested but the end result was slightly lacking.  The flavor of the sweet potato was masked by the overwhelming taste of gruyere, egg and onion.  Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes and I was really hoping that this recipe would highlight their flavor.  Unfortunately I think it acted as more of a receptacle for eggs and cheese.  

This would probably make a great brunch dish, but I doubt I’ll be making it again.  I will, however, try my hand at soufflé again.  Next time I don’t think I’ll be able to resist the temptation to make a dessert variety.  
Overall, my first Daring Kitchen challenge was definitely a success.  It encouraged me to get back in the kitchen, gave me an opportunity to cook something I have never cooked, and provided me with a reason to start a blog – yes, this is my first blog post ever.   

I’m already looking forward to next month’s challenge.




4 comments:

  1. CongraTS on a first Daring Cooks challenge beautifully and creatively executed! Love the sweet potato - gruyere combo and it looks fantastic once baked. Perfectly poofed and golden. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Daring cooks! Sorry your first souffle was a bit disappointing, but we do hope that you may try one again some day - we found recipes to be highly variable - some were really terrible, others excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your many firsts, 1st posting, 1st challenge and 1st soufflé. Welcome and hello to the Daring Cooks'. Yes this was a fun challenge and I love your photo series. And great to hear is was a success (somewhat), maybe another recipe would suit you better. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of my fellow Daring Cooks! I am so honored that you visited my blog. I stumbled on the Daring Kitchen by complete accident and it has turned out to be quite serendipitous. I really appreciate your feedback. Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete